Re: [patch 01/15] Kernel Tracepoints

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 15:13:35 EST

* Masami Hiramatsu (mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 10:46 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >
> >> Talking about headers, I have noticed that placing headers with the code
> >> may not be as clean as I would hope. For instance, the kernel/irq-trace.h
> >> header, when included from kernel/irq/handle.c, has to be included with:
> >>
> >> #include "../irq-trace.h"
> >>
> >> Which is not _that_ bad, but we we want to instrument the irq handler
> >> found in arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce_intel_64.c, including
> >> #include "../../../../../kernel/irq-trace.h" makes me go "yeeeek!"
> >>
> >> How about creating include/trace/irq.h and friends ?
> >
> > Might as well.. anybody else got opinions?
>
> I just wonder why DEFINE_TRACE are used in separated headers
> instead of include/linux/irq.h directly.
>
> anyway, #include <trace/XXX.h> is good to me.

Having these headers all placed nicely together will make it easier for
people who are looking for already existing tracepoints to locate them.

It's also worth noting that I am considering deploying a standard set of
tracepoints for userspace in a relatively short time frame. e.g. having
the ability to add tracepoints to pthread mutexes seems like an
interesting thing to have. And that will definitely require those
headers to sit somewhere around /usr/include/trace/ or something
similar, otherwise trying to locate those tracepoints will be hellish.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers