Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied fromin-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:58:51 EST

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:44:46PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> All of the regressions examples I am citing are cured by
> firmware-in-module, because they are all examples of problems that occur
> when you remove the ability to reproduce the same functional pieces as
> 2.6.26.

Jeff,

I think you've said this before, but let me try to help you
cut to the chase. You are willing to *implement*
firmware-in-the-module for request_firmware(), but you want a
commitment that David Woodhouse and Linus will accept such a patch
before you go off and write it. Is that right?

If so, may I suggest you start implementing, instead of
sending e-mails? For all the time people have spent arguing about it,
maybe it could have been implemented already.

Once it has been implemented, do you have any further
objections aka ideas about how request_firmware() could be improved?

- Ted
(who is hoping we can guide
this thread onto slightly more
productive avenues)