Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:56:01 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
If I were able to compile firmware into the modules, the problem would be
solved in one go.
And this thread would have been shorter, even. I hope someone decides to
write that support instead of complaining ;-)
I've volunteered -- but if Linus and David will reject my code out of hand,
there is not much point in writing it.

Quite frankly, I don't think it's something to reject out of hand, but it does sound pretty damn stupid.

Why compile them into the module, when that's just the _inflexible_ model?

Because it works today.

Because that is what people and their scripts expect, today.

Because people should not be forced to fix all their firmware-related breakage immediately, just to boot 2.6.27.

I'm not seeing why you cannot accept change.

It is highly feasible to do the change without breaking stuff and removing choice.

Beer can be great tasting AND less filling.

Jeff