Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: david
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 13:56:37 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

has a standard been defined for how to maintain different versions of firmware
for different versions of drivers yet?

No. We haven't had that possibility, probably largely because we haven't
even really had the ability (Davem and Jeff talk about "choice" and how
request_firmware() supposedly removes it, but they ignore the fact that it
very much cuts the other way too - request_firmware() _adds_ choice and
makes it easier for people to try to upgrade firmware without upgrading
the kernel).

and they aren't objecting to this choice being added. they just want to keep the choice of working the other way (although they implicitly are saying that they won't be doing a lot of testing of different firmware versions becouse they do want to work the other way)

David Lang