Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Frans Pop
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 13:26:02 EST

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, you wrote:
> So I think the _infrastructure_ is important. But the extreme "you have
> to split it off entirely" mindset is equally as stupid as the "you must
> compile it into the module" mindset.

Agreed. All I've wanted to say is that having the _option_ to continue to
compile it into the module can simplify certain use cases, including my
current use of the kernel's own deb-pkg target for private builds of the
kernel for testing purposes.

One thing I would dearly like to see is the ability to choose a different
location for firmware for my own custom built kernels than the location
used for firmware from official Debian kernel packages so that at least
those two don't clash.
Doesn't look like that is possible with current git head.