Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 12:37:40 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Why don't you just take the kernel-supplied firmware and make it part of
> the kernel package? The same way the kernel-supplied modules are part of
> it?

And, btw, if there is something we can do to help, we obviously should.

So ask yourself (and DavidW) things like

- Is "make firmware_install" not enough for the package build system?

- Does it need some other way to figure out what firmware is needed for
just the configured set of drivers, eg "make firmware_list"?

- Do we need to make the firmware loader have multiple directories it
looks at? Do we want first a kernel-version-specific one, then a
generic fallback one, so that we can easily have per-kernel firmware,
the same way we have per-kernel modules?

- Add your interesting question here.

There are obviously all these kinds of _productive_ questions you can ask.
But people seem to be mostly in an unproductive "Mommy, it hurts when I do
something stupid" mode.

Linus