Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied fromin-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 04:15:43 EST

* David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 03:21 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > * forced a flag day build process change upon all distros/builders
> > who switch to >= 2.6.27. no build script updates == non-working
> > drivers.
>
> Jeff, we don't usually call it a 'flag day' when it's just the normal
> and uninteresting case that you update the upstream version of the
> package, and you need minor tweaks to how you package it. [...]

well, i have no opinion one way or another about the firmware issue, but
breaking the build and breaking previously working setups is not a
"minor tweak".

> [...] That happens all the time. [...]

No, you are quite wrong, it does not happen all the time.

It happens occasionally out of 10,000 changes per kernel cycle. It
happens unintentionally most of the time and it's called a regression.

The difference here is that you seem to have broken my setup fully
intentionally.

I have no problem with going forward, but i have a problem with breaking
working setups and i have a problem with forced migration to something
that doesnt work by default.

If there's a fix i can apply and test i'm a happy camper, but all this
arguing in these threads with zero patches posted makes me quite
nervous.

Ingo