Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied fromin-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 03:51:27 EST

* David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:31 -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> > `include/config/builtin/firmware/dir.h', needed by
> > `firmware/ql2100_fw.bin.gen.S'. Stop.
> > make: *** [firmware] Error 2
>
> Oh, pants. Sorry, I renamed the CONFIG_BUILTIN_FIRMWARE option to
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE some time back, but all my own test builds had
> the include/config/builtin/firmware/dir.h file still lying around so I
> didn't notice that I'd forgotten to change that manual dependency. And
> evidently nobody using linux-next actually tried to include arbitrary
> _other_ firmware into their tree. This patch should fix it...

here's another bugreport, i get this build failure with latest -git
(which includes your fix above):

CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CHK include/linux/compile.h
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `firmware/tigon/tg3.bin', needed by `firmware/tigon/tg3.bin.gen.o'. Stop.
make: *** [firmware] Error 2

with:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/config-Tue_Jul_15_09_38_58_CEST_2008.bad

such configs worked before.

(i'd exclude TIGON3 from my qa builds but i've got tg3 hardware.)

Ingo