Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: david
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 01:34:18 EST

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

The only reliable way to handle it is to load the firmware before the
suspend happens - preferably by simply never unloading it in the first
place.

That's what we were told was the huge benefit of moving some
of these drivers over to this request_firmware() stuff, it would
save memory.

There _are_ RAM benefits for a number of drivers, even when you load the
firmware just once at initialisation time and keep it resident all the
time the device is active (and no, I won't slap myself for saying it).

The tg3 driver is a prime example -- it contains three separate firmware
images for different revisions of the card, but you'll almost never
actually need all three. Mostly you'll only need _one_ of them.

and when a card gets hotplugged into the system for a driver that's already in memory handling other cards you intend that it will have to go out to userspace to find the firmware?

how much memory are you expecting to save this way?

David Lang