Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Rene Herman
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 22:31:19 EST

On 15-07-08 04:24, David Miller wrote:

From: Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:23:14 +0200

On 15-07-08 03:52, David Miller wrote:

From: david@xxxxxxx Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with this, but the proponents of the seperate firmware are
listing the fact that the firmware doesn't tie up ram as one of the
big reasons for making the change.
Exactly.

Otherwise these firmware changes are utterly pointless.
The point of them is legal.

Thanks for proving something I tried to establish for weeks
but which Alan Cox, David W., and others vehemently denied.

They states that it was being done on a technical basis rather
than being predominantly a legal one.

Yes, they were obstinate or dishonest (I won't say "respectively"). As to "proving" though, I cannot prove anything, being a mere observer.

At this point I really believe this discussion should be about the other part of my reply -- the point mostly put forward by Jef Garzik about the firmware inside the module image. Without that ability, I don't believe these are good patches.

_With_ that ability, I myself do. Let's allow allow everyone their own level of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Rene