Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 22:22:57 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
IMO the newly added /inability/ to build firmware into kernel modules is a
clear regression.

IMO you're being stupid.

How about explainign why it makes any difference what-so-ever?

If you can load the module, you can load the firmware. Claiming anything else is just _stupid_.

False -- for every router build script, driver disk build script, etc. that has not yet been updated to copy both a module and the /lib/firmware that the kernel tree is newly spitting out.

And for every case, the breakage is completely silent, until one boots into a firmware-less image and loads drivers.

And if you cannot see the advantage of having _one_ interface to firmware loading, instead of each driver picking a random approach, I don't know what to say.

It's a great approach! As I've said over and over and over (and now over) again.

My complaints are about --not breaking stuff--, not request_firmware().

You have to look at the build process, second stage image builders, embedded system image creators, and other "hangers on" that do not look and behave like a mainstream Linux distro.

It is a mistake to assume that all systems are _already_ prepared to install and digest new /lib/firmware files that the kernel build now spits out.

And the consequences of that assumption is a non-working driver, often a non-booting system, not just a few quirks here and there.

Jeff