Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: david
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 20:51:28 EST

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

there was also the issue that was raised about how to handle firmware during
suspend/resume. I don't remember seeing a happy solution to that one.

I don't understand why this even keeps coming up.

The only reliable way to handle it is to load the firmware before the
suspend happens - preferably by simply never unloading it in the first
place.

Anything else is fraught with problems.

Stuff that expects to eject itself anyway(*) over a suspend event can
obviously decide to throw it away and require a reload at resume time (by
virtue of simply re-discovering the whole device!).

Everybody else should just keep the firmware in memory in the driver.

Does it waste some ram? Sure. Tough.

I agree with this, but the proponents of the seperate firmware are listing the fact that the firmware doesn't tie up ram as one of the big reasons for making the change.

David Lang