Re: [git pull] core/softirq for v2.6.27

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 13:14:35 EST

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> /me suggests git-log-addendum feature to amend commit logs after the
> fact, without changing any of the code :-)

It's called "git commit --amend".

But it obviously also changes the SHA1 of the commit - it generates a
totally new one. You cannot do it after-the-fact or deep in history (well,
you can, with the normal "rebase" op, but it literally is no different
from changing the patch itself too).

BK used to be able to change the logs after-the-fact, but that meant that
the logs were not trustworthy, and any changes also didn't distribute
right (they'd only be changed locally and in any subsequent distributions)

Linus