Re: [git pull] core/softirq for v2.6.27

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 12:32:19 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:42:43 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> It would be nice if these short-form summaries were to include the
> commit IDs. eg:
>
> Carlos R. Mafra (1):
> Remove argument from open_softirq which is always NULL (962cf36)

yeah, but not sure whether git-shortlog can do that and this shortlog is
the Preferred Way of getting pull requests.

I'm using the sha1's myself for non-shortlog formats, like:

earth4:~/tip> git-log-line linus..core/softirq
0f476b6: softirq: remove irqs_disabled warning from local_bh_enable
4620b49: softirq: remove initialization of static per-cpu variable
962cf36: Remove argument from open_softirq which is always NULL

where git-log-line does the obvious single-line shortcut:

git log --no-merges --pretty=format:"%h: %s" $@

> > Carlos R. Mafra (1):
> > Remove argument from open_softirq which is always NULL
> >
> > Johannes Berg (1):
> > softirq: remove irqs_disabled warning from local_bh_enable
>
> This doesn't remove the warning? (Nor should it)
>
> +static inline void _local_bh_enable_ip(unsigned long ip)
> {
> + WARN_ON_ONCE(in_irq() || irqs_disabled());
> - WARN_ON_ONCE(in_irq());
> - WARN_ON_ONCE(irqs_disabled());
>
> It just makes it a bit less useful.

hm, it does more than that - this commit (0f476b6d9) actually caught a
real bug/lockup on one of my testboxes, see this (in v2.6.26) fix:

| commit c5643cab7bf663ae049b11be43de8819683176dd
| Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
| Date: Mon Jun 23 10:41:23 2008 +0200
|
| [netdrvr] 3c59x: remove irqs_disabled warning from local_bh_enable
|
| Original Author: Michael Buesch <mb@xxxxxxxxx>
|
| net, vortex: fix lockup

[ i didnt send it to v2.6.26 because it came relatively late, it touches
a sensitive, #ifdef laden piece of code and it was unknown how many
false positives it would trigger. But it's perfect for v2.6.27. ]

Ingo