Re: [git pull] core, x86: make LIST_POISON less deadly

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 12:08:59 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
We dont do any instruction decoding in #GP handlers to figure out what happened, while in the pagefault case we know which address faulted, etc.

Why would we care? It would be very obvious from the instruction disassembly plus the register contents. No need to decode instructions.

We could add a printk to the #GP handler that alerts the reader that a poisoned list is suspected, if we find the address pattern in one of the registers.