Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git4: Reported regressions from 2.6.25

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 00:12:24 EST

On Friday 11 July 2008 04:06, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i'm wondering why rcutorture didnt trigger it. I do run !HOTPLUG +
> RCU_PREEMPT kernels and never saw this. Nor did Paul. That aspect is
> weird.

It basically requires an active rcu reader to be preempted (preferably
by something doing a lot of call_rcu or other activity ie. the writer
so it can tick along the different states quickly).

I found just 2 threads (reader and writer) bound to the same CPU would
trigger it fastest, my reader has quite a long rcu read section.

I'm not sure why rcutorture doesn't trigger for everyone. I'm surprised
it does not have much longer maximum read delays -- several ms I would
have thought should be useful to have a crticial section open while the
rcu engine can run through a number of states...