Re: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 15:22:32 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> I think we can get away with just simply realloc'ing the percpu area
>> on each cpu. No fancy table manipulations required. Just update
>> the base pointer in %gs and in someplace global.
>>

> It's perfectly legitimate to take the address of a percpu variable and store it
> somewhere. We can't move them around.

Really? I guess there are cases where that makes sense. It is a pretty
rare case though. Especially when you are not talking about doing it temporarily
with preemption disabled. There are few enough users of the API I think we can
certainly explore the cost of forbidding in the general case of storing the
address of a percpu variable.

Eric