Re: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 16:51:51 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:11:03 -0700
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ingo Molnar wrote:
Note that the zero-based percpu problems are completely unrelated
to stackprotector. I was able to hit them with a
stackprotector-disabled gcc-4.2.3 environment.
The only reason we need to keep a zero-based pda is to support stack-protector. If we drop drop it, we can drop the pda - and its special zero-based properties - entirely.

what's wrong with zero based btw?

Two problems:

1. it means pda references are invalid if their offsets are ever more than CONFIG_PHYSICAL_BASE (which I do not think is likely, but still...)

2. some vague hints of a linker bug.

-hpa