Re: Spinlocks: Factor our GENERIC_LOCKBREAK in order to avoid spinwith irqs disable

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 01:57:24 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
On Tuesday 08 July 2008 06:14, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

The other point, of course, is that ticket locks are massive overkill
for the problem they're trying to solve.

No they aren't.

It's one thing to introduce an element of fairness into spinlocks, its another to impose strict FIFO
ordering. It would be enough to make the locks "polite" by preventing a
new lock-holder from taking the lock while its under contention.
Something like:

union lock {
unsigned short word;
struct { unsigned char lock, count; };
};

spin_lock: # ebx - lock pointer
movw $0x0001, %ax # add 1 to lock, 0 to count
xaddw %ax, (%ebx) # attempt to take lock and test user count
testw %ax,%ax
jnz slow

taken: ret

# slow path
slow: lock incb 1(%ebx) # inc count

1: rep;nop
cmpb $0,(%ebx)
jnz 1b # wait for unlocked

movb $1,%al # attempt to take lock (count already increased)
xchgb %al,(%ebx)
testb %al,%al
jnz 1b

lock decb 1(%ebx) # drop count
jmp taken

spin_unlock:
movb $0,(%ebx)
ret

The uncontended fastpath is similar to the pre-ticket locks, but it
refuses to take the lock if there are other waiters, even if the lock is
not currently held. This prevents the rapid lock-unlock cycle on one
CPU from starving another CPU, which I understand was the original
problem tickets locks were trying to solve.

They prevent lots of unfairness and starvation problems. The most
prominent one (ie. actually observed in Linux) was a single CPU
being totally starved by N others (to the point where lockup timers
would kick in).

Yep. My understanding was that the specific case was that cpu A was repeatedly taking and releasing the lock, while other cpus spin waiting for it, and that the cache coherence logic kept the cacheline owned by A (presumably because it kept modifying it). Ticket locks work well in this case because, as you say, it enforces a fairness policy that the hardware doesn't implement. Are there other cases that ticket locks help with? Does the algorithm above solve the starvation issue?

As an aside, these locks you propose are also a lot more costly in
the contended path. 4 vs 1 atomic operations on the lock cacheline
is not so great.

Yep, that's not great. But it doesn't bounce cache lines around as much either, so perhaps it doesn't make much difference.

But really, I was being my own devil's advocate, to see if there's some other lock algorithm which satisfies both the normal ticket-lock case and the virtualization case.

I have no real objections to ticket locks, so long as I can turn them off ;)