Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Delayed interrupt work, thread pools

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 19:04:12 EST

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 10:09 -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> I have a few different users of the thread pools, and I ended up
> having
> to create a number of pools to avoid deadlocks between different types
> of operations on the same work list. Ideas like the next activation
> head really sound cool, but the simplicity of just making dedicated
> pools to dedicated tasks is much much easier to debug.
>
> If the pools are able to resize themselves sanely, it should perform
> about the same as the fancy stuff ;)

Could be just like workqueues: a "default" common pool and the ability
to create specialized pools with possibly configurable constraints in
size etc...

I'm a bit too busy with preparing for the merge window right now along
with a few other things, so I haven't looked in details at the existing
implementations yet. I'm in no hurry tho, thus somebody feel free to
beat me to it, else I'll dig into it later this month or so.

Ben.