Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 15:48:42 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
And this is the pot calling the kettle black. You badly
broke Marvell PATA support by setting the Marvell SATA devices to AHCI. I
note you've still not fixed that after some months.
Even if we accept that at face value, which I don't (it's more a driver load order issue), that is no excuse for further regressions.

So you are allowed to break stuff without fixing it (and driver load
order issue is not as far as I can tell the case - the AHCI stuff means
you lose the PATA port)

It is trivial to see -- both drivers compete for the same PCI IDs, 0x6145 and 0x6121, but with different capabilities. Load pata_marvell first, and it claims those PCI IDs first.

How about we revert all the marvell changes - or would in truth be
another case where the good done for most (SATA AHCI support) outweighs
the bad for a few (PATA port problems) ?

What load order would you suggest? pata_marvell-first order preserves the behavior that existed before the PCI IDs appeared in ahci, by ensuring it claims PCI IDs 0x6145 and 0x6121 first.

Sorry Jeff but you don't get to jump up and down on David without being
reminded that your own actions are not consistent with your words.

Your sidebar here doesn't change the fact that David's current firmware implementation takes away a tool currently in use, replacing it with another less-reliable tool.

Jeff