Re: Battery life difference

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 11:24:02 EST

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 16:17:01 +0300
"Felipe Balbi" <felipebalbi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I bought two x61s for testing purposes. One of them is running
> windows XP and the other one is running clean ubuntu 8.04 with kernel
> 2.6.24-19. The problem is that on windows that battery lasts around
> 3h30min and with linux 1h30min.
>
> 2 hours is a huge difference. Here's the scenario:
>
> . x61s with windows xp
> wifi on but not connected to any network, bluetooth on,
> display is in the less brighten state.
>
> . x61s with ubuntu 8.04
> all radios off (modules removed and hw switch off),

Which wireless is this? Same for graphics

> Anyways, do we reach D2/D3 states anywhere ? I mean without
> context save/restore we can't reach D3 and almost no D2 as well.

these don't give you all that much nowadays

> Any comments ?

There's a few things you can do to help stuff along; make sure you're
using AHCI.

Also take a look at
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/5/8/1771024 because
these patches save like 0.75W in our lab.

To be honest, I'm surprised at your results; in our testing (with a
different distro though) we don't see such a difference and Linux is
doing rather well.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org