Re: Setting system clock... (FREEZE) (2.6.25.5)

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 04:31:29 EST

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/hard-freeze-on-boot-between-setting-clock-and-host-name-625494/

Setting system clock... (FREEZE)

Then, I power cycle the host and it comes up OK, per the above will disable network console support and stop using it, hopefully this solves the problem.

I am not using it elsewhere and have not seen this issue.

At the moment, using: 2.6.25.5 (Debian Testing)

Going to 2.6.25.6 w/network logging disabled.

Was curious though if anyone on the list has seen something similar to this and can confirm if it is indeed the network console logging?

Thanks,

Justin.

Apparently it affects other HW platforms as well:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/8375

I will try using acpi=off/etc in the future to see if it resolves the issue, but being so wide-spread could this be a kernel issue since it affects many HW types or are there many BIOS implementations that are really buggy?

Justin.