Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 02:06:35 EST

David Miller wrote:
External firmware is by design an error prone system, even with
versioning. But by being built and linked into the driver, it
is fool proof.

On a technical basis alone, we would never disconnect a crucial
component such as firmware, from the driver. The only thing
charging these transoformations, from day one, is legal concerns.

I've been against request_firmware() from the beginning, because
they make life unnecessarily difficult, and it is error prone no
matter how well you design the validation step.

Precisely. External firmware is quite simply less error prone, since it is always with the driver code that uses it. No other system can approach that reliability.

But I did (and do) think request_firmware() is a necessary piece of the puzzle. Personally I've always felt it is a design choice by the individual driver author, whether to compile-in firmware or use external firmware.

Jeff