Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 19:59:39 EST

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 03:42:37PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > It doesn't yet; that patch is in linux-next. The firmware is shipped as
> > part of the kernel source tree, and you currently need to run 'make
> > firmware_install' to put it in /lib/firmware, although we're looking at
> > making that easier because apparently having to run 'make
> > firmware_install' is too hard...
>
> Won't that break multiple kernel installs on any binary packaging
> system that cares about file collisions? Multiple kernel rpms
> providing the same /lib/firmware files would break things wouldn't
> they ?

Correct.

We will probably need per-kernel directories, exactly like what is done for
modules. And since there are (now) both kernel-version-specific, and
non-kernel-version-specific firmware, this means the firmware loader should
look first on the version-specific directory (say, /lib/firmware/$(uname
-r)/), then if not found, on the general directory (/lib/firmware).

Nothing too dificult to pull off, but something that needs to be done before
this entire thing gets deployed on unsuspecting users. It is bad enough
that it created such a commotion when deployed on unsuspecting developers...

Henrique Holschuh