Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Hannes Reinecke
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 10:39:50 EST

Hi Takashi,

Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:10:14 -0400,
Theodore Tso wrote:
On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 02:27:15PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
That's the way it has been for a _long_ time anyway, for any modern
driver which uses request_firmware(). The whole point about modules is
_modularity_. Yes, that means that sometimes they depend on _other_
modules, or on firmware.

The scripts which handle that kind of thing have handled inter-module
dependencies, and MODULE_FIRMWARE(), for a long time now.
FYI, at least Ubuntu Hardy's initramfs does not seem to deal with
firmware for modules correctly.

Neither SUSE's mkinitrd.
(Hannes, please correct if I'm wrong...)

???

Firmware loading is just a matter of copying the file at the correct
location (ie /lib/firmware) and with the name the fw loader expects.
mkinitrd should do it correctly.
But I wasn't aware that the tg3 has external firmware, so I doubt
we have any rpm for it.

Cheers,

Hannes
--