Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 09:15:52 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:09 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'll look at making the requirement for 'make firmware_install' more
obvious, or even making it happen automatically as part of
'modules_install'.
Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention, but how are "only boot bzImage without initrd or modules" setups supposed to work now
for those drivers? My testing setup relies on that heavily.

That will continue to work just fine.

Will the firmware automatically end up in initramfs and be included
in the bzImage and loaded at the right point?

No, not even in the initramfs. It's built _right_ into the static kernel
image, and request_firmware() finds it there without even having to call
out to userspace at all.
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/firmware-2.6.git?a=commitdiff;h=81d4e79a

However, there is still a broken element to the system: the firmware no longer rides along in the module's .ko file. That introduces new problems for any user and script that copies modules around.

The compiled-in firmware should be in the same place where it was before your changes -- in the driver's kernel module.

So, yes, there should not be regressions for non-module users. Let's now solve the regression problem for the other half of the world...

Jeff