Re: Is sysfs the right place to get cache and CPU topology info?

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 05:46:01 EST

Andrew Morton writes:

> Those are dopey weasel words and they should be removed.

Thanks. That is my opinion too.

> If we put stuff in sysfs then people WILL use it and we WILL need to
> support it for ever. Pointing at some document and saying "call my
> lawyer" just won't cut it.
>
> sysfs is part of the kernel ABI. We should design our interfaces there
> as carefully as we design any others.
>
> > They read that to mean that sysfs is not a suitable interface for them
> > to use to get information about the system. In particular they read
> > that to mean that if they do code their library to read sysfs, it will
> > change in the future in such a way as to break their code.
> >
> > In other words, they see sysfs as being completely useless for them
> > because they can't depend on it as a stable interface. Which is
> > reasonable given the quoted paragraph, but on the other hand, I don't
> > believe we break userspace interfaces as blithely as that paragraph
> > suggests.
>
> Well it's up to them - they own the files. If they later change them
> and break their own interfaces (and presumably their own applications),
> well, perhaps they have chosen an inappropriate career?

We have too many "they"s, perhaps. I meant that these developers (of
an HPC library that wants to know about cpu caches and topology) see
sysfs as being completely useless as a source of information because
they expect random kernel developers to keep changing it in
incompatible ways. So "they" (library developers) don't own the files
- they're not kernel developers at all.

> > So which is it? Can they rely on the CPU cache and topology
> > information under /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*, and rely on having
> > that information there essentially forever? Or are they correct in
> > saying sysfs is useless and we need to find some other way to expose
> > the cache and topology information?
>
> Use sysfs. Choose a representation which is maitainable in a
> backward-compatible fashion for all time. Maintain it.

Thanks. :)

Paul.