Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Delayed interrupt work, thread pools

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 00:23:46 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
Here's something that's been running in the back of my mind for some
time that could be a good topic of discussion at KS.

In various areas (I'll come up with some examples later), kernel code
such as drivers want to defer some processing to "task level", for
various reasons such as locking (taking mutexes), memory allocation,
interrupt latency, or simply doing things that may take more time than
is reasonable to do at interrupt time or do things that may block.

Currently, the main mechanism we provide to do that is workqueues. They
somewhat solve the problem, but at the same time, somewhat can make it
worse.

The problem is that delaying a potentially long/sleeping task to a work
queue will have the effect of delaying everything else waiting on that
work queue.

how much of this would be obsoleted if we had irqthreads ?