Re: [RFT] x86 acpi: normalize segment descriptor register on resume

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 02:59:58 EST

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

The appended patch fixes a regression and is considered as 2.6.26 material. Everyone having a box with working suspend to RAM is gently requested to test it and verify if it doesn't break things.

The patch applies to the current -git.

it's been under testing in tip/out-of-tree for about a week:

| commit ee901dc1b9ab94a37ba2efc296fe9ba72bc75adf
| Author: H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>
| AuthorDate: Tue Jun 24 23:03:48 2008 +0200
| Commit: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
| CommitDate: Wed Jun 25 18:48:13 2008 +0200
|
| x86 ACPI: normalize segment descriptor register on resume

no problems caused by it so far.

Here is the incremental patch which should stick "strictly to the script" of ljmp immediately after writing CR0.PE. This should be done to the boot code as well; I'm waiting for confirmation from the Elan original reporter before submitting that patch.

I decided to make this an incremental patch to make it bisectable versus the other one, however, it should probably be considered the right thing.

Note: I have not tested this beyond compilation, I'm afraid.

-hpa