Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Current List of Kernel Summit suggestedtopics from the discuss list

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 14:11:59 EST

Jesse Barnes wrote:
If we measure quality using bug metrics, things are pretty hard.

One problem with any metric is that the metric becomes a driving factor in itself. Consider the whole whitespace issue, for example.

As far as the whitespace issue is concerned, we may want to consider just setting a flag day -- probably immediately before an -rc1 release -- and just run "cleanfile" on the whole tree. In-flux patches are still appliable with "patch -l", and by now we should have enough tools to avoid adding new whitespace problems, so we can just kill this issue once and for all.

-hpa