RE: Scatter-gather list constraints

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 15:43:27 EST

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:

> For WA, when we get a buffer to be sent from a URB, it has to be split
> in chunks, each chunk has a header added. So we end up with a list of
> chunks, most of them quite small. Each requires a single URB to send.
> resources galore.
>
> If we could queue all those, the overhead would be reduced to allocating
> the headers (possibly in a continuous array) and the sg "descriptors"
> to describe the whole thing.
>
> However, the alignment stuff somebody mentioned in another email in this
> thread might cause problems.
>
> At the end it might not be all that doable (I might be missing some
> subtle isssues), but it is well worth a look.
>
> >Note that usbcore already contains a scatter-gather library.
> >(Unfortunately the library is limited in usefulness because it needs to
> >run in process context.)
>
> And the overhead of one URB per sg "node" kills it's usability for
> WAs.

For this case (lots of small chunks making up a single URB), using a
bounce buffer might well be the easiest solution. It depends on the
size of the URB and the number and sizes of the small chunks. There
would be a lot less overhead -- only one URB -- and one large memory
allocation instead of lots of small ones.

Alan Stern