Re: [RFC v1] Tunable sched_mc_power_savings=n

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 14:09:05 EST

> A user could be an application and certain applications can predict their
> workload.

So you expect the applications to run suid root and change a sysctl?
And what happens when two applications run that do that and they have differing
requirements? Will they fight over the sysctl?

> For example, a database, a file indexer, etc can predict their workload.

A file indexer should run with a high nice level and low priority would ideally always
prefer power saving. But it doesn't currently. Perhaps it should?

> Policies are best known in user land and the best controlled from there.
> Consider a case where the end user might select a performance based policy or a
> policy to aggressively save power (during peak tariff times). With

How many users are going to do that? Seems like a unrealistic case to me.

-Andi