Re: [RFC v1] Tunable sched_mc_power_savings=n

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 09:56:40 EST

Vaidyanathan Srinivasan <svaidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The idea being proposed is to enhance the tunable with varied degrees
> of consolidation that can work best for different workload
> characteristics. echo 2 > /sys/.../sched_mc_power_savings could
> enable more aggressive consolidation than the default.

It would be better to fix the single power saving default to work
better with bursty workloads too than to add more tunables. Tunables
are basically "we give up, let's push the problem to the user"
which is not nice. I suspect a lot of users won't even know if their
workloads are bursty or not. Or they might have workloads which
are both bursty and not bursty.

Or did you try that and failed?

-Andi