Re: [RT] remove_waiter does not need to do chain walk?(2.6.25.4-rt)

From: hyl
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 09:14:50 EST

2008/6/24 hyl <heyongli@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi, everyone
>
> lets us just focus on remove_waiter in rt_spin_lock_slowlock
> (2.6.25.4-rt). refer to bellowing brief code .
>
> i notice the comments above calling the remove_waiter , but i can't
> figure out the sequence which meet
> the comment.
>
> I do figure out a event sequence to proof we must call
> remove_waiter , but chain walk seems is not needed.
>
> 0). current process block on this lock (note:block on lock not the process)
> 1). adaptive_wait continue the loop without sleeping due to event
> 2): owner change( held no lock while adaptive wait)
> 2.) owner free the lock, another process be selected as pending
> owner, then release lock
> 2.x) then current be boosted , and become pending owner's top
> waiter, so pending owner be boosted too
> 3. in the new round loop: do_try_to_take_rt_mutex->try_to_steal_lock
> lucky own the lock,
> and at this time, waiter.task is not NULL
>
> Question is: seems pending owner's block_on is null, remove_waiter
> seems need no chain walk?
look into the for(;;){} loop there are only one break, it is that
we got the lock.
so we must be the owner, in remove_waiter,
{
int first = (waiter == rt_mutex_top_waiter(lock));
struct task_struct *owner = rt_mutex_owner(lock);
int chain_walk = 0;

spin_lock(&current->pi_lock);
plist_del(&waiter->list_entry, &lock->wait_list);
waiter->task = NULL;
current->pi_blocked_on = NULL;
spin_unlock(&current->pi_lock);

if (first && owner != current && !task_is_reader(owner)) {
==>/*we are the owner, so never a chain walk for
rt_spin_lock_slowlock->remove_waiter,*/

but for mutex/reader/writer senerio, the chain walk is possible.

for rt_spin_lock, it seems that we are never going to have a non-mutex wakeup.
FIX ME.