Re: [patch 1/2] mm: dont clear PG_uptodate ininvalidate_complete_page2()

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 12:42:24 EST

> > We discussed this yesterday. My conclusion was (which I still think
> > is true) that it can't be fixed in page_cache_pipe_buf_confirm(),
> > because due to current practice of not setting PG_error for I/O errors
> > for read, it is impossible to distinguish between a never-been-uptodate
> > page and a was-uptodate-before-invalidation page.
>
> Umm. The regular read does this quite well. If something isn't up-to-date,
> it tries a synchronous read. Once.

Exactly. And if page_cache_pipe_buf_confirm() could do a synchronous
re-read of the page, that would work. But it can't, because it only
has the page and not the file.

> > And it's not just an nfsd issue. Userspace might also expect that if
> > a zero count is returned, that means it went beyond EOF, and not that
> > it should retry the splice, maybe it has better luck this time.
>
> You're totally ignoring the real issue - user space that uses splice()
> *knows* that it uses splice(). It's a private mmap().
>
> NFSD, on the other hand, is supposed to act as NFSD. I think that
> currently it assumes that nobody else modifies the files, which is
> reasonable, but breaks with FUSE.

Not so. Why couldn't someone modify an ext3 file, while nfsd is
holding the page? Is that wrong? I don't know, but it's not fuse
specific.

> But do you see? That's a NFSD/FUSE issue, not a splice one!

No, I think you are wrong.

Miklos