Re: stuck tcp connections 2.6.26-rc7

From: Ray Lee
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 11:16:34 EST

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Justin Mattock
<justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Justin Mattock <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> If you leave a ping running as root to your local gateway from a
>>> console ( nice -n -10 ping -i 0.5 192.168.1.1
>>> or whichever ip ), does it show dropouts?
>>>

>> I'll give that a try and see what happens.
>> regards;
>>
>> --
>> Justin P. Mattock
>>

> Hmm, well I really don't know what to say with the tcp
> connection(issue), It seems to go in and out of phases i.g.
> at first running music, and t.v.(through flash) there's moments of
> pauses,(around 5 secs or so) then after a while
> the tcp seems to even itself out, but then after a while(5min or so)
> the same pauses begin. Maybe due to some missing packet, or
> some deadlock if this is proper to say.

On my system, I've noticed that the flashplugin can manage to starve
other processes in a pure scheduler sort of way, so you might try
running latencytop to see if there's some sort of issue there. OTOH,
I've noticed firefox itself hang for 3-15 seconds in the middle of a
read (just as you describe), with nothing else going on in the system,
so <shrug>. I've been blaming firefox, but I could be wrong.