Re: Forensic File System GUID Linux/Windows

From: jmerkey
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 11:03:20 EST

>> jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> The following GUID is being used in the Wolf Mountain Group, Inc.
>>> Forensic
>>> File System (FFS) for GPT intel EFI partitions. Since there is no
>>> central
>>> registry for EFI GUID's it is posted here for referece for folks who
>>> may
>>> run accross it on Windows Vista, 2003, and 2008 systems running FFS on
>>> Windows that may be using dual boot with Linux or vmware:
>>>
>>> #define PARTITION_FFS_GUID \
>>> EFI_GUID( 0xBEEFCAFE, 0xFEED, 0x0000, \
>>> 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01)
>>>

>> You would have vastly less probability of accidental collision if you
>> generated a proper random GUID, for example:
>>
>> : tazenda 118 ; uuidgen -r
>> 33ae8a9c-441e-4d97-93a3-8561388ce905
>>
>> -hpa

Thanks. Good advice. What we really need is someone to maintain a
central registry for UUID generation for EFI and GPT based ID's. Since
drives are getting bigger and bigger, GPT is probably going to be the
standard 5 years from now, so sooner is better than later. I will
regenerate a new UUID using these tools and update the software.

Thanks for the help.

:-)

Jeff