Re: Removal of BAST IDE driver

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 06:32:16 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
series) so when later Jeff merged:

commit cc18e0fea7907e7a96b7df71b81838d518bc074e
Author: Ben Dooks <ben-linux@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon Jun 16 12:16:26 2008 +0100

LIBATA: Add HAVE_PATA_PLATFORM to select PATA_PLATFORM driver

which was patch #1/2 in the series I was under impression that now we
have both new and old driver with the old driver being the default because
of the link order. Seems I was wrong after all as other things are moving
slower than IDE/ATA. ;)

Sorry for messing things up. Russell/Ben: how should we proceed with
fixing it (arch part in or ide part out)?

Ben's change merely adds a knob that a platform may set, in order to enable the existing pata_platform driver, which is pretty safe by itself.

The next piece -- once not in 2.6.26 AFAIK -- is arch-specific code selecting HAVE_PATA_PLATFORM. BAST IDE, I assume, can go away once relevant platforms start turning on HAVE_PATA_PLATFORM.

Jeff