Re: strange freeze with VIA C7 dedicated server and libc 2.6.1

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 17:46:39 EST

> * the watchdog says nothing in the logs, but is able to reboot the box.
>
> Thank you very much for your answer Alan, I were hesitating on
> posting a report with no logs, no clues . . . your answer gives me a
> little hope ;)

Two random thoughts from your last comment

- If you do

echo "2" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
echo "80" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio

do you instead get out of memory kills (which would imply bad memory
leaks perhaps triggered by glibc ?)

- Does your system pass 'crashme' testing (run as a non root user). If
not then that might give an eventual identification of a crashme run
which takes out the box. We've found kernel bugs, CPU bugs and
combinations of the two before now that way.