Re: [rfc patch 3/4] splice: remove confirm frompipe_buf_operations

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 15:46:33 EST

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> Right. But what if it's invalidated *before* becoming uptodate (if
> you'd read my mail further, I discussed this).
>
> Why does invalidate_complete_page2() do ClearPageUptodate()? Dunno,
> maybe it shoulnd't. But that would need a rather thorough audit of
> all code checking PageUptodate()...

Quite frankly, that shouldn't happen in the first place. Nothing should
clear up-to-date on a page that is locked. Doesn't
invalidate_complete_page() wait for the page to be unlocked already?

That said, the VM people already discussed (I think for other reasons),
removing the ClearPageUptodate(), because it has problems. There's talk
about just unhashing the page or moving it to another radix tree or
something.

Linus