Re: nanosleep() uses CLOCK_MONOTONIC, should be CLOCK_REALTIME?

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 05:31:22 EST

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Bart Van Assche
<bart.vanassche@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> nor by adjtimex() (this last one is used by ntpd).
>>
>> That surprised me a little. So gradual adjustments to the time made
>> by adjtime() / adjtimex() really don't affect nanosleep()?
>
> Does the adjtime() system call still exist ? I could not find any
> information about this system call in the 2.6.25 kernel source code.

It's the glibc interface on top of adtimex(). (Sorry, maybe I should
have writte andjtime(3) to be clearer.)

> Frequency adjustments made via the adjtimex() system call do affect
> nanosleep() of course (via timex::freq and/or timex::tick). Stepwise
> time adjustments, whether gradual or not, should not affect
> nanosleep().

Ahhh good -- that makes sense. Thanks for that info.

--
Michael Kerrisk
man-pages online: http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online_pages.html