Re: [patch 05/19] perfmon2 minimal v2: X86 generic code

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Mon Jun 23 2008 - 12:11:41 EST

Hi Stephane,

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:02:22 -0700 (PDT) eranian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This patch adds the X86 generic perfmon2 code. It is in charge of
> implementing certain key functionalities required by the generic
> code such as read/write of the PMU registers, low-level interrupt
> handling.

After applying patches 1-5, building an x86_64 allmodconfig produces
these errors:

In file included from include/linux/perfmon_kern.h:167,
from arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c:25:
include/linux/perfmon_pmu.h:92: warning: âstruct pfarg_pmcâ declared inside parameter list
include/linux/perfmon_pmu.h:92: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
include/linux/perfmon_pmu.h:96: warning: âstruct pfarg_pmdâ declared inside parameter list

Those structures aren't defined until patch 11.

In file included from arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c:25:
include/linux/perfmon_kern.h: In function âpfm_copy_threadâ:
include/linux/perfmon_kern.h:199: error: âTIF_PERFMON_CTXSWâ undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c: In function âsmp_pmu_interruptâ:
arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c:338: error: âLOCAL_PERFMON_VECTORâ undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c: In function âpfm_arch_resend_irqâ:
arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c:451: error: âLOCAL_PERFMON_VECTORâ undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c: In function âpfm_arch_pmu_acquire_percpuâ:
arch/x86/perfmon/perfmon.c:475: error: âLOCAL_PERFMON_VECTORâ undeclared (first use in this function)

These are not defined until patch 7.

So I think some rearrangement is still required.

Also, some of the x86 files that you are modifying have had their 32 and
64 bit versions combined in linux-next (which is the stuff of the next
merge window) so just a heads up that there will be more merge work then.
Lastly, some of this will clash with the generic IPIs work.

I don't want to put you off, you have done great work here, thanks.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx