Re: hdparm -M acoustic management for sata disks?

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Sun Jun 22 2008 - 15:56:06 EST

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
[]
Am I guessing right that samsung, hitachi et.al just do have support for
AAM?

Well, it was a neat surprise to me when I discovered that a newly
purchased - not Seagate which I almost always used - drive has all
the acoustic stuff in place.

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: Hitachi HUA721050KLA330
Firmware Revision: GK6OA70M
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 128
* Automatic Acoustic Management feature set

And it's indeed more quiet when seeking if acoustic management value
is set to 128, and quite more load when set to 255. Speed decreases
a bit (I didn't do any measurements), but not much.

Western Digital drives also has acoustic management in place. At
least some of them. But I never heard of this stuff present for
Seagate drives - my guess is that those are in a "good" compromise
between speed and loudness already :)

/mjt