Re: stack overflow on Sparc64

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 18:22:51 EST

From: David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:44:24 -0700 (PDT)

I agree on both counts. Although I'm curious what the average stack
frame sizes look like on x86_64 and i386, and also how this area
appears on powerpc.

I also one to mention in passing that another thing we can do to
help deep call stack sizes is to make call chains more tail-call
friendly when possible.

... and remove -fno-optimize-sibling-calls?:

Makefile:
ifdef CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER
KBUILD_CFLAGS += -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
else
KBUILD_CFLAGS += -fomit-frame-pointer
endif

--- maybe it could be better to remove it, instead of some inlining that I made. Or do you see a situation when for debugging purpose, user would want -fno-optimize-sibling-calls?

Mikulas