Re: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 08:27:47 EST

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 02:22:11PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> Ah, indeed, thanks for the hint. This is the output of

Right. My recollection of this is somewhat hazy, so here's something I
wrote a couple of years ago:

"If you dig through the DSDT code for the 6125, you'll find a bit where
it writes 0x14 to 0xfec00000 and then checks whether offset 0x12 from
there is 1. In other words, it's checking if pin 2 of the io-apic is
masked. If it's not masked (that is, offset 0x12 is 0 and irq 2 is
enabled) it sets another bit in a register. This is then checked by the
thermal zone code which as a result sets the thermal trip temperatures
to 16 degrees Celsius. This bites when the acpi_skip_timer_override
option is used in Linux."

I have no idea what this code is for, but it's pretty clear that Windows
sets it up in such a way that this isn't true.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx