Re: Performance of ext4

From: Holger Kiehl
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 04:10:25 EST

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Theodore Tso wrote:

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:42:36AM +0000, Holger Kiehl wrote:
Note how the size of file results.24033.helena.dwd.de changes from
9230 before the test to 8208 bytes after the test. Also note the
date both have the same timestamp "2008-06-17 04:35". I have made a
copy of results.24033.helena.dwd.de before the test and compared it
with that after the test. The file is just truncated by 1022 bytes
and there is no garbage.

So the corruption is always a truncation, correct?

Correct.

Did you notice the problem with ext4 w/o the patch queue?

No, without patch queue it I did not not notice the problem.

I have a
suspicion that the problem may have been introduced by the delayed
allocation code, but I don't have hard evidence. When you rerun your
benchmark (which seems to be the closest thing we have to a
reproduction case), it would be interesting to know if the problem
goes away with -o nodelalloc (again, it would localize where we need
to look).

Ok I will do thats soon as I have a system available.

Holger