Question about sys_ind (Partition ID fields)

From: jmerkey
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 13:30:18 EST

Is there a reason why the sys_ind field (The partition ID) is not cached
in the hd_struct persistently? I noticed that after the initial
check_partition calls through check_part[]() read all this data and only
remember the starting sector and size of a given partition. Perhaps I am
missing something, and its stored somewhere else, but I have not located
it yet.

This seems somwhat wasteful since it requires the partition tables and/or
partitions to be re-read all the time instead of just remembering what
sys_ind was previously set. The argument that it is this way for
supporting dynamic rescanning doesn't seem to match up to the way its
implemented since you have to rescan anyway in most cases. It makes it
somewhat ackward whem you are instrumenting multi-partition storage
modules.

Jeff