Re: 2.6.26-rc5-mm3: BUG large value for HugePages_Rsvd

From: Andy Whitcroft
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 13:19:39 EST

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:27:47AM -0500, Jon Tollefson wrote:
> After running some of the libhugetlbfs tests the value for
> /proc/meminfo/HugePages_Rsvd becomes really large. It looks like it has
> wrapped backwards from zero.
> Below is the sequence I used to run one of the tests that causes this;
> the tests passes for what it is intended to test but leaves a large
> value for reserved pages and that seemed strange to me.
> test run on ppc64 with 16M huge pages

Yes Adam reported that here yesterday, he found it in his hugetlfs testing.
I have done some investigation on it and it is being triggered by a bug in
the private reservation tracking patches. It is triggered by the hugetlb
test which causes some complex vma splits to occur on a private mapping.

I believe I have the underlying problem nailed and do have some nearly
complete patches for this and they should be in a postable state by
tommorrow.

-apw