Re: Linux with kvm-intel locks up VMplayer guest is started

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Wed Jun 18 2008 - 15:53:31 EST

devzero@xxxxxx wrote:
i`d like to give a comment about those claims in this thread (see below), vmware kernel part would be closed source or binary module.

i think, they arenŽt. they just are not available via public/opensource code repository.

just go and download workstation 6.5 beta from:

http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/VMware-workstation-e.x.p-91182.i386.tar.gz
(you may need register for that)

unpack and take a look at vmware-distrib/lib/modules/source - there is source for 6 independent kernel
modules in those .tar files:

vmblock, vmci, vmmon, vmnet, vmppuser and vsock. (~3MB alltogether)

vmmon is sort of a stub that loads the actual monitor which is a binary blob.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

regards
roland

i think what he's saying is that VMWare is a closed binary blob
executing in the kernel; so there's no way to certify anything with
this.

as soon as you put some unknown (and unknowable, unverifiable,
untrustable) code in the kernel, you can't know what will work and
what won't.

So ask vmware. They have source to both parts we don't."

If the VMware code was upstream, then we could work together to make a software arbitration mechanism. It's not, and worse yet, it's closed source so there's no chance it will be. Even if someone wrote an arbitration mechanism and got VMware to use it, it still shouldn't be merged because KVM would be the only thing using that mechanism upstream. I'm not interested in adding kernel infrastructure to support external binary kernel modules.

VMware is a binary kernel module that's out of kernel. KVM is not misbehaving and the fact that VMware breaks when the KVM module is loaded isn't our problem. If they submitted their code for inclusion in mainline, we could possibly come up with solution for arbitrating who is using VT.